those, from Burpham and Jacobs Well who gave their lives in the 1914-
‘Burpham Will Remember Them’
In the early 1900s Burpham was in the Parish of Worplesdon and together with Jacob’s Well was essentially one large, scattered, community.
About the ‘tradition’ of War Memorials
Memorials commemorate the events and the casualties suffered during the 1914-
On the eve of world war one there was no tradition of nationally commemorating mass casualities in war.
Where as a result of the conflict approximatly two million Germans 1.3 million Frenchmen, 720,000 British soldiers along with 61000 Canadian died.
The war had a global impact, many of the deaths occured during a short period of time, affecting particular groups, towns villages and famlies.
In Britain early memorials were closely linked to the need to promote military recruitment. The state had an ambivalent attitude towards informal memorials that emerged during the conflict.
Stone memorials began to be erected in towns and villages from 1915 onwards. Some church leaders created street war shrines to the dead. Official support only came after a national newspaper campaign and a well publicised visit by Queen Mary to a temporary shrine in Hyde Park in August 1918. Over 100,000 persons visited the temporary shrine in the first week.
These memorials were mainly constructed of wood and paper. It was only after the visit by Queen MARY that permanent stone memorials began to replace the temporary structures.
(Researched and written by Roger,
a member of our team)
The Burpham War Memorial
In the Burpham, Jacobs Well and Sutton Green villages 18 men are remembered on the memorial erected in the churchyard of St Luke's, Burpham. A dedication service to the servicemen was held on the 22nd. August 1920.
All over the United Kingdom the process of erecting a memorial was left to groups of local people. No national quidelines or instructions were issued. As a result it is very difficult to unearth records to show how the location of the memorial was chosen and who would be responsible for its upkeep.
From research so far, a number of of references have been found in copies of the Surrey Advertiser and County Times for the years 1918, 1919, 1920 and 1921:
26th July, 1919
Tea and Sports for the returning soldiers were held in the field facing London Road, Burpham.
17th October 1919
22nd August, 1920
A dedication service to the servicemen was held
28th August, 1920
a detailed report of the dedication service conducted by the Bishop of Guildford is recorded.
It would appear that the arrangements for the erection of the memorial was by an ad hoc committee, finding official correspondence is difficult to unearth.
The Burpham War Memorial is in
St Luke’s (Churchyard)
Surrey GU4 7LX
Please click on the
postcode to see map.
NOTE: Neither the map nor satnavs show the position of the church exactly.
It is on the corner where Burpham Lane turns to lead to Burpham Primary School.
It is shown on the map with a cross (+)
do not show exactly
(Click picture to enlarge)
|St Luke's Church|
|1920 Dedication Service Sheet|
|The War to End All Wars|
|The Tensions in Europe|
|Galant Little Belgium|
|The Home Front and the Long Haul|
|They went with songs to the battle|
|The Battle of the Somme|