Welcome Our Aims The Memorial Jean Shail's book Your help Contact us Those who fell History About us Publicity Links

those, from Burpham and Jacobs Well who gave their lives in the 1914-1918 war

‘Burpham Will Remember Them’

In the early 1900s Burpham was in the Parish of Worplesdon and together with Jacob’s Well was essentially one large, scattered, community.

The Burpham they left behind

Burpham seems to have been a fairly prosperous farming community in the Victorian age. Few, if any, inhabitants ended up in the Guildford Union Workhouse and there were always new tenants willing to take on the farms. New Inn Farm, Winterhill Farm, Weylea Farm and Burpham Court Farm were all in operation, and in 1878 a new farm, Bowers, was created where Sainsburys stands today.


A very important step in the village's development took place in 1859 - the building of St. Luke's Church at a cost of £900. The necessary ground was given by Lord Onslow. This saved the long walk to St. Mary's Church in Worplesdon.  St. Luke's was only a Chapel of Ease attached to Worplesdon, but in 1920 a new parish combining Burpham with Sutton Green was created and St. Luke's became the parish church in 1954.

A Methodist chapel, in London Road followed in 1888, but on oral evidence, it had ceased to be used for worship by the late 1920s.

Bowers Mill was a fully working mill.

A new industrial trade also appeared, that of brickmaking, a use for the local clay. It is known that there were at various times brickfields in the grounds of New Inn and Winterhill Farms.

The Anchor and Horseshoes was flourishing (we know it was there in 1841) - as it still is today!

The Green Man, first heard of in 1593, was also a flourishing concern until it's demise in the 21st century!!


Slow development of Burpham continued in the years up to the First World War.

The first house (Orchard Cottage) appeared in New Inn Lane, which was a replacement for the old Winterhill farmhouse. In 1905 Lord Onslow sold off his lands and what remained of his manorial privileges in Burpham. The Duke of Sutherland bought the eastern part which has never been developed, and today is the Sutherland Memorial Park.


There was still no shop in the village, but carriers from Guildford passed regularly along London Road and, after all, the town was near enough for a pony and trap to get into market and back again within a morning.




At last two important things happened which contributed to the village's sense of identity - the first shop and the first school.  In 1913 Mrs. Turner opened her front room at 54 Burpham Lane as a village shop and sub post office and continued to supply the villagers' wants for 22 years.


The current Kingpost Parade built in about 1906 was by that time already in existence as Kingpost a garden shop, but this was for passing trade rather than the satisfaction of the needs of the villagers.


The village school was opened for the Autumn term, 1908, with 28 children under Miss E. Lancaster, with one assistant teacher. It was an Elementary school, providing a basic education for the village children up to the age of 13.  The school has undergone a number of crises and changes over the years. Some of these have been "Acts of God;" for instance in October, 1912, the school had to be closed for six weeks owing to an outbreak of diphtheria, in which one child died, while in 1916 floods and in 1917 snow for a while prevented most children from getting to school.


The First World War affected Burpham in much the same way as other rural communities; the young men left to join the services and the names of those who did not come back are on the memorial in St. Luke's churchyard.

Otherwise, the war did not affect the village directly.

  

Burpham was relatively late in obtaining its hall to complete the buildings which might be thought necessary to define a village; however in 1922 surplus war materials (in fact, the components of a temporary hospital ward which had never been used) were bought from Thursley Camp, land in Burpham Lane was leased from the Duke of Sutherland at a peppercorn rent and the hall was erected at a total cost of £180.

We hope to be able to give some idea of what life was like in Burpham at the beginning of the 20th Century.


The following is an extract from “Burpham. Norman Manor to Surburban Village” by the late Roger Marjoribanks,

used by the kind permission of his wife.

We hope to add to this background information and, if we can, to show old photographs of the area.

If anyone had material which could help make this pages more informative and interesting we would very much like to hear from you

The Green Man from an old (1901) photograph, taken from the book mentioned above.

We are seeking to get a better quality image

St Luke’s Church - 2011. The Memorial can be seen just right of centre, alongside the path to the church entrance.

Burpham Village Hall - 2012

◄back

Back (history)